Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Praise to This Man, he was MY Prophet!

This past Sunday, January 27, 2008 our beloved Prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley passed away. Hearing of his passing was one of those moments in your life when time stands still and you know that you will always remember exactly what you were doing when you got the news. Chris had gone to bed early as he has been extremely sick. The kids and I had just settled down to read scriptures, when my mother-in-law called to tell us the news. I finished the phone call and then explained to the children what had happened. My sweet Laethym burst into tears (it didn't help that I was sobbing by this point). Christopher started to cry as well and just kept repeating, "He was such a righteous prophet."
We finished our scripture reading and then knelt together. Avonleigh (and Mommy) offered a prayer of thanksgiving for President Hinckley and the incredible life he led. We stayed up a while longer talking about him and thinking of his family. I can't help but smile knowing of the glorious reunion President and Sister Hinckley had as he passed through the veil. I have no doubt that his family could feel her presence as he slipped on from this life and into the next.

All day yesterday BYUtv did a special tribute to President Hinckley. It was wonderful to have it on all day long, listening, feeling, remembering, crying. Loving this man so much and wanting my kids to know how special he truly was. I know that the Lord will call another prophet for myself, for my children and all children of men. I know that someday my children will be of an age where they will feel very connected to one specific prophet. For me, that was President Hinckley. He is MY Prophet! He is the one who I came into my own testimony with, whom I set my standards by, whom I looked to on child-rearing, teaching, serving, working, etc.
He and Sister Hinckley were just about the most amazing couple I've ever watched. They loved on a celestial level that so few have the opportunity to observe on earth. I cried with he and his family as his beautiful wife was taken Home, leaving him several years to carry on without her. I'll never forget what he said about her when asked what kind of mother she was. He said, "She made our children feel well." I thought, "What a funny thing to say." But after having children that are growing faster than I want them to, at the end of the day, they NEED to feel well, they need to know they are loved, they need a soft place to fall.

So to this Man of God who did so much for so many and prayed for ME and all his brothers and sisters, here's to YOU, President Hinckley...you're cleared for take off. Forever in our hearts.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

Thanks so much for sharing your testimony of Pres. Hinckley! He was a wonderful man, wasn't he!

Pinky said...

So beautifully worded honey, Thank You! It has been wonderful to listen to BYU TV today the day of his funeral all day and cry laugh and remember what a remarkable Prophet he has been.