Monday, March 29, 2010

Sickness, Surgery and Gratitude

My poor little Payton Jean has been sick, sick, sick!  And then she kindly passed it along to her little brother...



It's so sad to see your babies in misery

But then she let out a smile of pure joy.  And my heart melted.


I am sitting in a recliner with icepacks on my face and my laptop as we "speak."  My surgery went really well (so much better than I had anticipated).  I had a wonderful surgeon and his staff was out-of-this-world!  I am so grateful to all of you wonderful family and friends who sent me messages throughout the day and called the house (and brought a fabulous dinner).  I feel so loved! 
My amazing mom is here this week to help with the daily ins and outs, and I couldn't be happier!  She is such a calming spirit to have around. 


This surgery was weighing heavily on my mind for the past two weeks (I know, I'm a total baby).  But it really made me think that should anything happen to me, my affairs are NOT in order as they should be.  As I was in the doctor's chair being prepped for the procedure, I made a connection with the beautiful nurse Ruth Anne, who also has five children.  She is now 61 years old and her babies are grown.  She shared with my mom and I how she had lost her youngest (at the age of 28) last Easter.  She pleaded with me to live for my children NOW and cherish the little/mundane things.  She spoke of the time spent folding her children's laundry, washing their hair, rocking them to sleep, reading them stories and taking pictures.  All of those memories are what keep her family going as they continue to mourne the loss of their daughter and sister.  I'm so grateful to have met Ruth Anne.  I wish I would have been with it enough to tell her more about the gospel of Jesus Christ - I want her to know what I know!
My wonderful husband gave me a Priesthood Blessing this morning before I left for my appointment.  I felt my Father in Heaven's love envelope me once again, and was so grateful for that knowledge.  I love the Priesthood!

I will spend most of this week healing, pondering and writing down my goals for a better me - a more grateful, loving, uplifting and patient me...

"True gratitude is the ability to humbly see, feel, and even receive love. Gratitude is a form of returning love to God. Recognize His hand, tell Him so, express your love to Him. As you come to truly know the Lord, you will find an intimate, sacred relationship built on trust. You will come to know He understands your anguish and will, in compassion, always
respond to you in love."


(Gene R. Cook, "Charity: Perfect and Everlasting Love," Ensign, May 2002, 83)

I am so looking forward to this coming weekend of General Conference - on Easter Sunday.  What could be more beautiful?
And my kids are thoroughly looking forward to this.

Ps - Happy Anniversary Todd and Sarah Zahlmann!

3 comments:

Sarah Z said...

That is a darling pic of your mom! Get well soon...Thanks for the anniversary shout out!

Pinky said...

What a wonderful week its been. Thank you for needing me! Even though it was hard to see you in such pain! Love You Bunches :ox

Robyn said...

I finally added your blog to my google reader - now I'll actually keep current.

Glad the surgery went well. Such a blessing to have your mom close.

Sorry your kids have been sick! Mine had RSV over spring break - thankfully no one landed themselves in the hospital.