Monday, September 20, 2010

Back to School Feast 2010

We borrowed this idea from the beautiful and inspiring Stephanie Nielson (Nie Nie).  Our family has been doing a back to school feast for the last couple of years.  As I was in the process of planning this years' feast, I received a phone call from my darling friend, Katie.  She had also been carrying on this tradition with her own family, so she decided that we should combined our efforts (but not really, because she did all the work!) and have one BIG feast!  It was awesome (except for my honey not being there)!


DSC_1777
The hostess with the mostest!  Isn't she lovely?  Love her style!

DSC_1590-2
The delectable spread: Prime rib, Grilled salmon, Sauteed veggies, Grilled asparagus, Pasta salad, Green salad, Fresh-picked berries, Great Harvest bread and butter, Organic sparkling cider.  For dessert: Chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream frosting and VaNIElla cake with buttercream frosting.

DSC_1593-2
Fabulous company: President Sherry and Christopher

DSC_1588-2
The ever-gracious, Ann Sherry putting on Laethym's crown
DSC_1601-2
Christopher and Frog Prince...cute buddies!

DSC_1610-2
Potato sack races!
DSC_1706-2
Three-legged races

DSC_1759-2
Payton and Boy - she kept holding a "cell phone" up to his ear so he could talk...to whom I don't know!  So cute!

DSC_1773-2
She was fascinated with roasting the marshmallows

DSC_1765-2
'Smore anyone?

Avonleigh lasso
President Sherry lassoing Avonleigh

It was such a fabulous evening!  Thank you, Carleski's!  Their family theme was "giving thanks in all things" and I think it's something that we all should be mindful of.

We celebrated our family mini-feast and unveiling of the Zahlmann Family Theme when Chris came home from Texas (the night before school started).

And our 2010 theme is: "OBEDIENCE IN EVERYTHING" (not just when it's easy or convenient - this includes LISTENING the FIRST time)

"If they obey and serve him, they shall spend their days in prosperity, and their years in pleasures."
Job 36:11

Stay tuned for first days of school...

3 comments:

emily a. said...

As I was sitting here enjoying all your colorful pictures and idea I thought "wait, isn't that my dad?" It's extra fun seeing my parents pop up on other people's blogs. That's nice you invited them.

I've been loving your pictures and all of the COLOR!

Simply Kissed Photography said...

Very cute and very fun idea! This may become a tradition too in our house...but first we must have a kiddo because I'm not sure my husband starting school has the same attitude :)

Stephanie said...

@Em - Yes, that is your wonderfu parents! I can't take any credit for inviting them, that was all Katie. But it was so wonderful to have them there! I'm glad you like my pictures...I love color and try to incorporate as much as possible!

@SimplyKP - Welcome to my little corner of the blogosphere! That's funny...yes, a husband alone, may not be quite as keen on this tradition...but it makes for great memories!