Friday, September 17, 2010

Blue Lily GoPro Workshop, Salt Lake City Day 2 (Part 3)

Part of me really hoped that if I put off writing this final installment of my trip, that somehow, I can pretend it's not really over.  Have you ever slept so soundly that you wake up in the exact position that you fell asleep in?  I truly can't remember the last time I slept like that...but in the Party House...oh boy did I sleep well! 

I woke up Saturday morning to the beautiful Utah sun (a stark contrast from the dark, cloudy abyss the night before).  It was going to be a fabulous day!  Everyone arrived back at the Party House that morning and we were out the door by 9am; heading to the heart of down town Salt Lake where we would meet up with our adorable wedding couple and 2 families.  Since you've already seen the wedding couple here, you'll get a sneak peak at one of our beautiful families below. 

We spent an hour or so following around the bride and groom; posing them, yelling at them to "look over here", and moving them around to several different locations in down town.  It was SO. MUCH. FUN!  They were very natural and with their own wedding just a few weeks away, totally and completely smitten with one another (it was actually yesterday! congrats Jared and Trisha!!)! 

Our first family arrived (all cute-like!) and we watched Wendy and Tyler do a session with them.  It was very cool to see how the dynamic duo works - so fast and efficiently, but it doesn't feel rushed.  They really do have it down to a science - a beautiful, art-filled science.  As they finished up with their demonstration, the next family arrived to be our guinea pigs!  I really was so impressed with how well these kiddos did - can you imagine having 14 photographers all around you and shouting out orders (I hope people didn't really feel like we were shouting at them, but just trying to coerce them into doing what we wanted!)?  It was such a treat!  The weather was gorgeous, the people were gorgeous and I felt like I had a good opportunity to tap into my creative juices! 

As the day wore on, that sun beat down on us and it got hot!  We were all really tired/hungry/thirsty, so we said goodbye to our wonderful models and headed back to the Party House.  Once again, Shayna had arranged our catered lunch and she did not disappoint!  I wish I could remember the name of the deli/bakery, but my brain is fried!  Let me just say that they served one of the best sandwiches I have ever had!  Yum, yum, yum...now I want one. 

After a nice lunch, we gathered, once again, at the conference-like table and had more learning/discussion time.  We spent most of the afternoon working on Photoshop/Lightroom/Bridge/ACR stuff and got some stellar editing tips and ideas (not to mention some homemade actions from the BL team)! 

Then we got to play around with some studio lighting.  I would have loved to have done more of this!  It was really cool to try out and tweak - oh, and did I mention that we had like 6 cutie kids come over to the house and be our models for it?  They were soooo adorable!  I think the oldest one was maybe 4?  And to make the kids laugh we had to use "potty words" (such as 'bum' and 'poopie' - what were you thinking?!) per their mothers' suggestion.  So funny!  I didn't get a lot of studio time and with so many of us, the kids were done before too long!  I will definitely be working more on indoor lighting techniques...so be on the lookout!

Ahhh, this day went by way too fast (the whole trip went by way too fast)!  It ended with everyone back at the conference table, exchanging contact information and critiquing each others blogs and photos from our shoots.  I loved these people - every one of them.  Such great people to know.  Tyler gave a heart-felt send off to all of us (just ask his tear ducts...I'm just sayin').  Nobody really wanted to leave, and some of us were still staying another night in the house before taking off Sunday morning in our separate directions. 

So we made a night out of it.  Remember what it was like in college - to go out to eat with friends and have an absolute blast hanging out.  Then you come home and play silly games and talk all night?  Yeah, that's what we did.  It was the best!  We started out with dinner at The Pie Pizzeria in South Jordan.  The cheese pull-aparts?  I die.  So good!  There was 8 of us (Me, Wendy, Tyler, Shayna, Melissa, Jamie, Katie and Stephanie), and we were an unruly bunch - lots of laughing (some crying), thoughts on the workshop and bad Mormon jokes.  It was after dinner that Melissa and Jamie took off and the rest of us went back to the Party House.  Tyler challenged Wendy, Katie, Stephanie, Shayna and I to a game of H.O.R.S.E in the mini b-ball court downstairs.  OH. MY. HECK.  A 3 hour game ensued which pretty much ended with everyone nearly peeing their pants (Bunny-hop Shayna, Stephanie from outside the gym door, me laying on the ground backwards and making it, Katie and Tyler - 'nuf said).  I was in pain from laughing so much!

Tyler is an early riser, so he crashed after our game.  Shayna took off to her hubby (lucky local).  April and Niki came back from their photo trip to the Great Salt Lake, and we all hung out for another hour or so.  It was fun to exchange favorite blogs and discuss other photographers.  When everyone else had trickled off to bed, Wendy and I stayed up another couple hours editing photos and chatting like girlfriends in high school.  I miss that. 

I finally crept off to bed in the wee smalls hours of the morning...and once again, fell asleep in one position and didn't move a muscle all night.  Sigh.  Someday that will be more of a reality in my life...but for now, I will cherish this time that I have to wake up to a child who had a nightmare, a baby who wants to snuggle at 2am, a little girl who just likes our bed better than hers and sometimes, a big boy who hears noises outside his window.  I wouldn't change a thing.

It's good to be home. ♥

DSC_1315

DSC_1293

DSC_1325

DSC_1370

DSC_1379

DSC_1390

DSC_1415

DSC_1429

I told you this family was beautiful!  Thank you Cheryl and Ryan!  I missed the chance to take Tess' pictures, but I know somebody did!  Good luck with your newest edition - when she arrives!

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Thank you! You are wonderful and talented and we are so grateful!! You made it so fun for the kids. Thanks a million!

Kelly said...

Great job! I hardly got ANY of this family:( SO CUTE!!

Shauna said...

Feel free to practice your indoor lighting techniques on my kids when we come to visit this December. He, he. : ) I'm glad to see that you had such a fun time. You are doing a fantastic job with your photography!

Stephanie said...

@Cheryl - Thank you! I was so grateful for the opportunity! Keep me updated on whether you get those extra pics you were looking for.

@Kelly - Hey lady! You were busy with your family! I didn't get any other them! That's ok, between all of us, I'm sure every participant got a few good shots!

@Shauna - I know, right? I doubt I'll have things set up by then...but it's a nice idea!