Friday, September 24, 2010

Thank you for the music

I hate being sick.  Hate.  Abhor.  Despise.  You get the picture.  And it's really sad to watch your babies get sick.  Well, as most of you have already read (via Facebook or Twitter), our family has been sick for nearly two weeks.  Two. very. long. weeks.  I was the last to fall.  But now that I am on my way to mending, I'm able to do some of the things that I couldn't do when said sickness set in.
I lost my voice for 4 days.  I can't even think of a time when I've been without a voice for that long.  I had to change the way I communicated with the children, I couldn't answer the phone (or make phone calls...just ask the office lady at the kids' school) and sadly, I couldn't sing.  In our house (or car) hardly an hour goes by without music coming from somewhere...the computer, the ipod, the piano, kids singing, me singing...it's everywhere, and we like it that way!  Well, one of the most frustrating things for me, while in whisper-mode, was remembering NOT to sing along with the music around me.  Torture, I tell ya!
Today, after I picked up the older kids from school and we all rode in the car cranking Mamma Mia!, I sang a few lines - scratchy, but hopeful.  And I thought of how grateful I am for the gift of music, and so happy that our kids have inherited that love as well! 
Avonleigh piped up from the back seat with, "Hey Mom! You can almost sing again!" 
Almost...but certainly the music will return soon enough.  And I can be patient.  Now about this cough...

This was the perfect song for my mood today (Mamma Mia! Soundtrack):

Thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing
Thanks for all the joy they're bringing
Who can live without it, I ask in all honesty
What would life be?
Without a song or a dance what are we?
So I say thank you for the music
For giving it to me...


A few shots I took of my sweet baby boy...growing MUCH too fast!  I could eat him up. breakfast. lunch. AND dinner!  The moon was pretty spectacular tonight too.
DSC_2614-copy

DSC_2605-copy

DSC_2644-copy

DSC_2637-copy

DSC_2658-copy

Bup-walking-collage-copy

DSC_2688-copy

DSC_2701-copy


Couldn't resist...a must-hear (not the original, but love her voice)

3 comments:

Shauna said...

I'm glad to hear that you guys are on the mend. It's always the pits to be sick, and I don't know about you guys in Oregon but here in Maryland this summer was a particularly bad one for sicknesses. I always thought that summer was supposed to be a break from all the illnesses. Yuck!

I absolutely ADORE that ABBA song. It always reminds me of my grandpa (the one Lincoln is named after), because he would play that song over and over and dance with us in his living room. When my mom, sister, and I went to see the movie in the theaters we were all in tears during the credits, because that song came on. Don't you just love how music can change your mood in an instant.

I hope you get better soon!

Sarah Z said...

Holy Cow! Zeke is getting SO big! He is definitely a handsome one too, huh?! Can't wait to see him in a couple months. Glad to hear you are feeling better...

Stephanie said...

@Shauna - Thank you for your sweet comment, as usual! It is SUCH a great song! I love the way music can so vividly stir a memory. Thank you for sharing!

@Sarah - I KNOW! I want him to stop! We can't wait for Thanksgiving!!