Thursday, September 2, 2010

When in Provo

I watched from my window seat as the warm morning sun glistened off the wing of my 737.  I thought I was going to throw up.  I had not been on a plane in more than 7 years.  And I hadn't left my children for more than one night since the time I became a mother. 
I asked for ginger ale
The stewardess snorted and seemed annoyed when I asked her to hand me my backpack out of the overhead bin (she had already yelled at me for attempting to retrieve it myself).  I had visions of writing all about my goals and plans and the questions I would ask at the workshop.  Instead I watched the little boy across the isle, fascinated with the views from his window.  He was traveling with his dad and looked to be about 7 (my Peanut's age).  I missed my family.  Feeling like I had somehow made a horrible mistake, I leaned my head against the window and promptly fell asleep.

An hour and a half later we were descending into the Salt Lake City Airport.  The plane slammed into the tarmac with such force, that I was sure I would need to have my spine decompressed by 2 semi trucks.  I grabbed my bags and headed to the rental car area.  Sidenote: Do rental car companies intentionally make things difficult?  No?  It's just me, then?  Ok, thanks.

I hit the I-15 Provo-bound.  Let me just say that I LOVE PROVO!  It is charming, family friendly, beautiful and has an amazing historic district!  I had never been to Provo by myself.  I enjoyed the day by taking in the people, the smells, the sights and the yummy goodness that is Provo.  I stopped by The Sweet Tooth Fairy to pick up some delectable cupcakes for a mentor I was about to meet.  They were gorgeous...and the taste...OUT OF THIS WORLD!  A MUST if you live in the area or are visiting (they also have locations in Draper, SLC & St. George)!  I placed the beautiful box in the backseat of my Chevy Cobalt (it was supposed to be a Pontiac G6...but I digress).

If you have never seen the work of the great Justin Hackworth, then you are seriously missing out.  He is a wedding photographer who photographs "happy people and beautiful events" in Provo (but travels to Rexburg among other locations).  He was recently commissioned as the BlogHer Conference photographer that took place at the beginning of August.  He is also famous for his candid photos of CJane and Stephanie Nielson.  Oh and did I mention he's amazing (but very humble)?  Truly, his pictures tell a story and you feel like you are there.  I love that.

Justin spent more than two hours talking with me about photography - his philosophy, his approach, business sense, etc.  And asked me all about ME - MY philosophy, my dreams, my business sense...it was like sitting down with a good friend who genuinely cared about my aspirations (and gave killer advice).  I think he's great!  And then as I was leaving, his darling wife and adorable youngest son walked in.  Just when I didn't think I could be any more impressed with this man, I met his beautiful family and could grasp why it is that he does what he does (and does it so well).  It's love
Thank you, Justin for your encouragement.

**If you are/will be in the Provo area and are in need of a top-rated photographer, look him up!  You won't be disappointed!

Post Script:
It was a gazillion degrees that day and, well, remember that beautiful box of delicious goodness in the backseat of my car (the car that I didn't want)?  Yeah...they were mush by the time I got out there.  Oops. 

Consider this an IOU!

The next morning I headed to the PAR-TAY HOUSE!!

To be continued...

Sneak peak: Check out these beautiful families :
DSC_0414 BLOG

DSC_0466 BLOG

DSC_0497 BLOG

DSC_0416 BLOG

DSC_0586 BLOG

DSC_0617 BLOG

DSC_0622 BLOG

DSC_0629 BLOG

DSC_0676 BLOG

DSC_0693 BLOG

DSC_0698 BLOG

5 comments:

Sarah Z said...

Can't wait to hear more about your trip! Sorry we missed you...Your pics keep getting better & better. I even mistook the ones you posted here for the gentlemen's you were just talking about...you're THAT good! Way to go girl!

Kelly said...

Stephanie~
I LOVE how you edited your photos from our workshop! I haven't even had a chance to touch mine yet! It was so great getting to meet you in UT! I will def be checking your blog often to see what you're up to you:) Love your work:)
XO Kelly

Katie Tendick said...

I LOVE the whole family feet shot!! So great. Umm...and I should have picked your brain about editing at the workshop. Really like your post-processing on these. So good! Way to rock it out!

Stephanie said...

Sorry folks, I'm WAY behind on getting back to comments!

@Sarah - You are so sweet!

@Kelly - Thank you! It was fun to see your photos, such great work!

@Katie, Katie, funny lady! Thank you so much! You are so talented, you'll have no problems with your post-processing (as I've already seen on FB)! Take care, Bergie!

Blogger said...

With RentalCars you can discover the cheapest car rentals from over 49,000 locations globally.