Thursday, December 2, 2010

Pictureless post for Payton...because I forgot my CF card reader to upload them. Lame.

I'm woefully behind on personal postings.
I am grateful to have been so busy with client shoots and Thanksgiving and Christmas preparations and family time and...and...and...

Sometimes we choose to slow things down; take a break and enjoy the ride a little more...and sometimes we are forced to slow down - kicking and screaming...other times just bracing for impact in wide-eyed bewilderment.
For me, right now, the latter is most applicable. 

Friends who know us, know that we have struggled for months with our 3-year-olds bladder/urinary tract infections.  She gets sick, she gets treated, they bring her in for more testing (that can only be done when the infection is cleared up) and by that point, she already has another infection.  Our wonderful Pediatrician and his staff are baffled. 
When I picked her up from preschool yesterday she had a fever.  "Oh great," I thought, "she's going to get everyone in preschool sick!"  We spent the rest of the day/evening with her fever hovering around 102 degrees (despite the Motrin/Tylenol combo).  She awoke around midnight with a 104 fever (axillary) and vomiting.  It was all downhill from there.
We spent the rest of the night keeping her comfortable and medicated (can you say suppository?).  She threw up everything that passed her lips and by 5am had nothing left and continued to dry heave for the next few hours.  My poor baby was exhausted.  She was so run-down that by the time I took her to the doctor at 9:15am, she could barely walk.
It just so happened that we had this doctors appointment scheduled as a "re-check" from her most recent round of antibiotics to clear up a bladder infection. 
Her re-check turned into a 3+ hour appointment where they did a couple of different urinalysis and tried to get some more concrete answers.  She definitely had another infection and due to her extremely high fever and localized pain, it was determined her kidneys were severely infected.
By 12:30pm her fever had jumped to 105.8 with no signs of stopping.  She was stripped and wrapped in cold towels, to which she gave no response.  She was completely non-responsive to most treatment or questioning.  She was given 2 antibiotics by injection (to which she cried out briefly).
As she lay on the exam table trembling and lethargic, my Pediatrician said, "I want to admit her to the hospital".

Then the new round of whirlwinds began as I got ahold of Chris (who got ahold of his parents), then my mom, then the dear friend who had picked up my kindergartner (and was going to arrange pickup of our oldest from school)...did I mention I had Zeke (1 y/o) and Laethym (7 y/o) with me at this appointment?  OH, well, I did.  Laethym wasn't feeling good and had been home for 2 days from school (she also was examined at the appointment and it was determined that she just has a virus that is causing chest congestion).  I was so glad she was there.  She kept her little brother occupied and happy.  She read him books and walked him up and down the hallway to view the various fish tanks.  She was a complete and utter lifesaver!  I think we'll keep her!  That being said, she totally lost it when the doctor said "hospital"!  It took a bit to calm her down and reassure her that this was in Payton's best interest.
We waited for Chris to get there, then we put Payton in the wheelchair and headed up to the hospital. 
She was admitted around 1pm and had an IV started right away. 
Chris' parents met us at the hospital and Chris and his dad gave Payton a wonderful, wonderful blessing.  We are so blessed to have them live (and work) so close to us!
My mom came right up from Florence.  I'm so grateful that she would drop everything to come up and help out our family.  Don't know what I'd do without her...don't wanna know.
Pyaton drifted in and out of consciousness for the first couple hours, then took a good nap.  Chris took Laethym and Zeke and picked up Avonleigh and Christopher and took everyone home for the evening.
We had wonderful friends come visit (and bring goodies), and then Daddy and her brothers and sisters came to visit her before bedtime.  The kids were really upset that she had to stay in the hospital.  It's not something our family has ever had to deal with.  Besides me being in the hospital to give birth (which I turn around and go home 24hrs or less afterwards), none of our family has been hospitalized (or away from the family) for any length of time.  That's a scary thing to a child.  They are saying lots of prayers for her to get better soon.  She's such a loved little girl!
Shortly after everyone left, Payton's fever spiked to 106.1, and thus ensued another frightening round of "how-fast-can-we-get-this-fever-down-before-she-goes-into-convulsions"!
When her fever gets high, she starts vomiting.  She had nothing to vomit.  The poor thing hasn't eaten or kept anything down for 2 days!  She was given piggybacked doses of Tylenol/Motrin and Zofran to fight the nausea/vomiting. 
And now we wait.  We wait for her little body to work with the antibiotics and do it's job to rid her poor kidneys of this infection.  We wait for the infection to clear completely before moving forward with the next round of testing (and possibly doctors).  We wait.  Wait.  Wait.  Wait. 
I don't know how long she will have to stay in the hospital...but it will be a while.  It all depends on how her body reacts to this round of antibiotics and how well her kidneys clear up and rebound.

So while I'm bracing for impact, I think I will take in this "slow down". 
It's what I need. 
It's what Payton needs. 
It's what our family needs. 
To get back to basics and remember what is really important. 

I have beautiful pictures to share with you tomorrow.

2 comments:

Shauna said...

Oh man! We will be sure to keep your family in our prayers. We made it to Oregon, so let me know what I can do to help. Can I bring your family dinner? Just let me know what night would be good for you. Try and take care, and give your little love bug a hug for us.

whitey said...

How scary this has been for you my youngest son was hospitalized on Nov 7th and we all most lost him, he spent a week in ICU thank heavens for the medicines to heal our children