Saturday, March 19, 2011

Erin Go Bragh Recap

We had a quiet, but enjoyable St. Patrick's Day. Christopher stayed home sick, poor kid. He was feeling much better and back to school this morning, though!  First Laethym, then him and today when I picked up Avonleigh...yep, you guessed it!  Sicker than sick.  She has gotten what is going around the school (high fever, stomach ache, vomiting), whereas, the other kids had a stomach ache and headache (and low-grade fever), but no vomiting.  Avonleigh definitely got the raw end of that deal.

Anyway, back to St. Patty's Day!  We had corned beef and cabbage last week (it was on sale), so we weren't in the mood for it again.  I wanted to do something with the kids that would be fun...and green....so we made biscuits!  It was super-fun and SUPER messy!  My favorite biscuit recipe is at the bottom of the post.  Now go get dirty and enjoy!


The cast of characters


I heart butter.  It makes the world go 'round (literally!)
Already in the bowl: flour, salt, baking powder

Now take your metal wire smasher thingy (really, what is that thing called?) and chop away until your dough comes together in the form of small pellets.

The secret ingredient: Green food gel (i heart food gels). My favorites can be found here.

Now dump some of that stuff right into your dough mixture...WAIT! STOP, just kidding...see below

Mix your food coloring into your milk because it works much better and covers more evenly.

Oops - I didn't mix it so well

Now, get those kids in there and let 'em get dirty!

Really dirty!

Good job Avonleigh!

Another great helper

Messy! But cute!

Then we got lazy and didn't feel like rolling them out, so we made drop biscuits (that's why I love this recipe)

And in the end we decided they looked like leprechaun droppings (because everyone knows what leprechaun droppings look like, right?)!

A small portion of the mess

To go with the biscuits, I chunked and sauteed some chicken breasts

Done!
Then I made some country gravy with the chicken drippings...yum!  Sorry, no finished plate picture, we were hungry! 

PS - A warning: what goes in [green food coloring] must come out [yikes]


Baking Powder Biscuits
(from a 1933 Recipe)

Ingredients:
2 cups sifted flour
2 tsp. baking powder
4 tablespoons butter or shortening
1/2 tsp. salt
about 3/4 cup milk

Sift Flour once, measure, add baking powder and salt, and sift again. Cut in shortening or butter. (this is where I use my hands by rubbing the butter into the flour). Add milk gradually, stirring until soft dough is formed. Turn out on slightly floured board and lightly "knead" for 30 seconds, enough to shape. Roll 1/2 inch thick and cut with 2 inch floured biscuit cutter. Bake on ungreased sheet in a 400 degree oven for 12-15 minutes. Makes 12 biscuits. You can also make tiny tea biscuits that are only 1 1/2 inches wide with a small cutter or glass bottom. These are great served with tea, jam or honey. Makes 24.

2 comments:

michelle said...

I love it. I remember back when I worked at Baskin Robbins we had a couple flavors- I think for one of the Shrek movies- that were some really obnoxious colors. The regulars would come in all the time and describe the shades of their children's... ahem... So now, every time I see food with a crazy color, I laugh a little on the inside.
P.S. I can't get over how much Avonleigh is starting to look like Laethym. AND how old everyone is getting. Make them stop please.

The Boys Club plus a girl! said...

Next time, call! I'd be happy to come down and watch wherever... or feel free to drop kiddos off! Please call if you need a sitter next time! Sounds like a great time, and LOVE the leprachan droppings! Those were fantastic... I'm so impressed with the green color! Obviously WAY better than those little liquid things you get at the store, eh? :-)