Thursday, October 13, 2011

Who's up for a challenge??

I was looking at my calendar and do you know what?  There are only 10 weeks left before Christmas!!  I can't even handle it.  

It's my favorite time of year - a beautiful, warm, exciting season filled with yummy smells, lovely colors and good will toward men.  It. is. magical.

So it got me to thinking...it's a magical time of year, but many times food becomes the central focus - family parties, work parties, church parties, stockings, goodie plates, gift baskets, etc.  It can be (I would venture to say, usually is) a very difficult time for people to maintain some semblance of health.  

So here's the deal.  I'm taking back my health for the holidays.  That's right, I've been working on getting healthy for 5 months now, but this will be my first holiday season (ever) where I refuse to be ruled by food.

I intend to enjoy the holidays to the fullest - and guess what?  I DON'T NEED FOOD TO DO THAT!!  Crazy, right?  Want to know another thing?  YOU DON'T NEED FOOD TO ENJOY THE HOLIDAYS either!

Here's where this gets interesting...

Who doesn't love a good, healthy competition?  I know I do!

I am challenging you (yes, YOU!!) to take back your health for the holidays!  Let's do this together, shall we?

I want to create a place where people can support each other (regardless of how you choose to loose)!  

The challenge starts this Monday, October 17th (you know how I love Mondays!).  That puts our last official weigh-in on Monday, December 19th.  

Here's how it will work:

You do your healthy thing throughout the week (if you're looking for a tried and true plan, boy have I got one for ya!), then on Monday morning, we all do our weigh-ins and you email/message/text/FB (you get the idea) your results for the week.  It will be based on percentage lost (so it's fair for everyone).  

Then on Monday afternoon/evening I will post that week's results.  It will look something like this:

Stephanie - weight lost: 3 lbs  percentage lost: 0.98%
Jean -         weight lost: 5 lbs  percentage lost: 1.02%
Susie -        weight lost: 1 lb  percentage lost:   .78%

You get the idea!

**I will leave it up to you if you want to use your real name or remain anonymous on the blog.  I would definitely encourage you to use your real information - and if you blog (or update Facebook), SHARE it there!  YOU will be helping to motivate others as well as keeping yourself accountable!

At the end, I will total up each person's percentage lost and the winner will get a prize.  I had intended to give a $50 gift certificate, which I'll still do, but I also want to see if I can find some wonderful sponsors to donate to the gift pool as well.  I'll keep you updated - but you will get at least $50 (right before Christmas)!

So, whadya say?  Wanna join me?

Send an email to: fitandfabforlife@gmail.com and tell me you want in!  Let me know how you want people to identify you (first name only), what your current weight is (I will not share this with anyone), how much you want to lose and your motivation level.  Also, I would love to know what you plan to do with the $50 if you win it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Example:
Hi Stephanie!  I'm so excited to participate in this challenge! I'm tired of gaining more weight over the holidays and never losing it!  I want to use my name (Jasmine) and I'm ok with you posting it on your blog.  My starting weight is 185 lbs.  I need to lose 35 lbs and I'm pretty motivated (8 on a scale of 10).  If I win, I will use the money to buy a cute outfit for my new body!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, I'm so excited about this!  Email me now and let me know that you want in and I'll start compiling the list!!

4 comments:

czahlmann said...

Sign me up! Amputate a leg and it's in the bag.

Kate the Great said...

What a great idea Steph... Wish I could get in on the action b/c I would love to not look so fluffy come Christmas time. Stupid six weeks of no working out post birthing.

Unless.... I get to count my weight before giving birth, and then like Chris said, it's in the bag.

Good luck everyone, and I would love to get in on this next year!

Evan and Charitie said...

I just reached my goal weight and inches, but I like the part of the challenge of making wiser choices in eating during the holidays. I love all the food during the holidays and really go at it, then gain weight to the point that I'm on verge of getting new pants because things are tight. So I'm going to try and be better about what I make and eat over Thanksgiving and Christmas. Thanks for the challenge!

Mylee said...

I'm in...just sent you an email!!!!