Thursday, December 29, 2011

A Christmas Morning Tradition

Every year my Father-in-law makes this breakfast for the family on Christmas Morning.  If we are ever not together, Mr. Charming assumes the chefly responsibilities and thus a tradition is carried on!

This year was so busy with trying to get to church on time, that we actually had our special breakfast the morning after Christmas...oh and Mr. Charming taught me how to make them.

These are not the healthy version, just a quick version.  You could easily make these with whole wheat pancake batter.

All pics are from my iPhone:
Spray a pan (warmed on med/low heat) with PAM and crack an egg in the center of it.  Dude, what's with my huge arm?

Don't break the yolk...or get shells in it...or...sorry, can't focus...elephant arm is distracting me... 

The egg will spread, but I like to drag the spatula through the thicker white parts to help it cook more evenly. 

As the edges get done, flip them in on the egg...just trust me...I've done this, like...once 

Continuing folding inward to make your egg nice and small 

Next, pour a little batter around the outside edge of the egg 

 It will spread, but it should look something like this

Wait for bubbles to form, so you know it's a beautiful golden color underneath, then flip that bad boy...or girl...I don't discriminate 

Viola!  Let it brown no the other side (it only takes a minute) and flip it out onto a plate!

I think we should call them Paneggs...Eggcakes...Ceggs...I may have gone too far - just call 'em good!  
PS - the official Zahlmann name is: Pancakes-with-eggs-in-the-middle. We are an original people. 

WARNING: Making these may spontaneously cause neighbors to coming knocking on your door looking for food...I'm just sayin'!  And by all means, do no serve them with sausage...you've been warned!

PPS - My favorite whole wheat waffle/pancake recipe:



1 ¾ cup whole wheat
1-tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup honey
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 large eggs
2 cups milk (I use soy milk and it works fine)

Mix together.

1 comment:

Sarah Z said...

Yum! I've been in the fam 7 years now & have never once seen or tried these! i've been looking for a fun Christmas breakfast tradition, maybe this could be it? with a little help from todd...