Friday, January 6, 2012

Guest Blog: Favorite Things from 2011


Today I am having a very special guest blogger on this lil 'ol blog of mine!  He's smart, handsome, funny and let's not forget...charming!  I love that he is so supportive of everything I do and that he was more-than-willing to contribute to the blog.  Without further adieu, I give you one of my favorite human beings, Mr. Charming (but you can call him Chris)!

-----

As we recently said goodbye to 2011, I decided to take some time to reflect on some of my favorite things from this past year.  
I will call it my “Top 11 in 2011”.

11.  Kicking it off at number 11 is TRANSFORMERS. With the recent resurgence of this popular kid’s toy, I feel like I am back in the 80’s. This time around they made it big on the big screen. The Transformers movie The Dark of the Moon was one of my favorites of 2011. I am just hoping that we see a 4th movie, soon! 
Movie trivia: In, The Dark of the Moon, who said, “Did you eat a lot of paint chips as a kid?



10.  Next rolling in at number 10 is ANGRY BIRDS. This little game won my heart when Steph got her first IPhone. I think I played it for 3 days straight. I love the little green pigs, you blacken their eye and they laugh in your face. How rude! Take that! The best thing about this game besides playing, is that it’s the best babysitting tool on the market. If you ever need to get something done, shove an iphone, ipod, or ipad with angry birds on it in front of the kids and you’re golden, for about 20 minutes that is. Be quick! Angry Birds was definitely my favorite game of 2011.


9.  Making a splash at number 9 are my favorite TV shows. They all happen to be on the USA network. Besides football, these are the only “can’t miss” shows on my list - thank goodness for Tivo. No NOT Tebo, TIVO. My favorite of the three has to be Burn Notice about ousted spies-turned-knights-in-shining-armor helping all the whack jobs in Miami. 
Next would have to be Suits followed by Psych.


From Psych:

Shawn Spencer: Was he in a little red corvette? 

Burton 'Gus' Guster: Under the cherry moon? 
Carlton Lassiter: FINGER prints!  


Shawn Spencer: I'm Shawn Spenstar and this is my partner, Gus "TT" Showbiz. 

Burton 'Gus' Guster: The extra T is for extra talent. 


8.  Well……… I have finally seen the light or APPLE you might say, so at number 8 on my fav 11 in 2011 is i-Anything or just about anything made by Apple. This innovative company makes some of the most intuitive products on the market. How do I know this? There are 90 year old grandmas playing Angry Birds, while asking Siri where the closest early bird special is, and tweeting about Frances cheating at bingo. I think I end up driving behind most of them. I love my iPad, my iCloud, my iTunes, my iHome, and my iPod so much I decided to get an iPhone. It’s about time….. right? Check out http://www.apple.com/ to learn about all the cool stuff from apple. Here are a couple funny conversations with Siri:

    
 Me: Open the pod bay doors

Siri: Oh, not again

Me: Open the pod bay doors
Siri: sigh…
Me: Open the pod bay doors
Siri: That’s it… I’m reporting you to the intelligent Agents’ Union for harassment.

 ----
Me: Beam me up Scotty!

Siri: Energizing

Siri: By 3G or Wi-Fi?



7.  I am proud to say that number 7 on my list are my SanFrancisco 49ers. Could this be the year they make it back to the Super Bowl? Not really sure if that’s going to happen, but stranger things have. If they are to make it all the way, they would have to plow through either the Green Bay Packers or the New Orleans Saints, probably the 2 best offenses in the league. Make no mistake, I’m rooting for them just the same and I like their chances. If the 2000 Ravens can do it, so can these Niners! Here’s a blast from the past, check out Chrisser and me at the Niners game in Seattle, we got field passes. GO NINERS! http://stephaniezahlmann.blogspot.com/2007/11/nfl-boys-weekend.html




6.  Coming in at number 6 in my fav 11 in 2011 is my Gerber Multi Tool. For years I was a Swiss army guy, but after I got this as a present, I haven’t looked back. I have used this tool in just about every household repair project, even electrocuting myself (not intentional of course). I have also used it in various other capacities like removing slivers, warts, and hang nails! I think every Dr.’s office should be equipped with one of these. If you know someone who is handy, this would be the ideal gift! Here’s a link where you can get one http://www.gerber-tools.com/   Hurry!  There’s only 353 more days until Christmas!



5.  On to number 5, not golden rings, I wish! My number 5 fav is our family food storage. I remember as a kid having to move our family food storage every time we moved. I began to resent that food storage and in my mind the only thing it was good for was sneaking wheat to see how long we had to chew it before it turned into gum, really works, by the way. This year has been a little different though, and my attitude about our food storage has drastically changed. Because of economic times and money being VERY tight, we have had to dip into our food storage for many meals. We have used our oats, rice, potato pearls, green beans, applesauce and stewed tomatoes, and all of our meals have been great! The kids never knew the difference and that’s how it should be! Here are a couple of sites to help you get your food storage on track. http://www.simplylivingsmart.com/ &  http://www.foodstoragemadeeasy.net/




4.  Rolling in at number 4 of my fav’s in 2011 is Better Health. Not just for me but for my entire family. As you may know, Steph has been on an amazing health trip, losing over 115 lbs last year, and at the end of 2011 I decided to get on board. From September to the end of the year, I lost 63 lbs and I have some good news and bad news about that. The good news is that I lost 63 lbs, amazing right? The bad news….. I still have 80 lbs to go. That just goes to show HOW unhealthy I really was. More good news…… I feel great, I have more energy, my outlook on life is better, I am more focused and determined, and I don’t ache! For more info, here’s a link to her health coaching site www.fitandfabforlifecoach.com She is helping lots of people get healthy, like me, and she can help you too!




3.  My number 3 is our US troops. These brave men and women serve, fight, and die to protect the freedoms that our founders made sure we had! I have always had great respect for our military, but the point was hit home even more this year when Steph’s cousin Julian (who serves in Afghanistan) came for a short visit here in town. He showed us videos of the areas that he has served in. The conditions were terrible. It looked like a desolate wasteland, nothing but dirt, sand, and weeds. He talked about how there were times when the re-supply trucks would be late for a delivery and they would have to go days with very little food or water. It truly is a sacrifice that these people make, and it’s not just them, their families are sacrificing right along with them. I don’t want to get too political here, but no matter your views, we should all show the utmost love, appreciation, and respect for our service men and women! Their life is on the line! Here’s a great charity if you feel like helping a little http://www.pattillmanfoundation.org/





2.  Number 2 for my 11 favs in 2011 is my family. I know, I know, kinda anticlimactic, but we have had some awesome times this year. Most of them have been in the candid moments of our everyday meandering that we call life. Check this one out from my daughter Payton, http://stephaniezahlmann.blogspot.com/2011/12/enjoy-cuteness.html really….singing a Justin Beiber song into a shower head? Where’d she get that? What was really cute was that her little brother had to do it too. All of our kids have had moments like this throughout the year, some of them we caught on video or camera and the others we burned forever in the space between our ears. The best times for me have to be the simple little encounters that I have with each of my children on a daily basis, the “daddy I luuuub you”… “give me a knock man”… “daddy, want to wrestle”… “when I grow up, I am going to marry daddy”… “can you tickle my back”… “dad the 49ers made the playoffs”… “daddy how do I look?” It’s great to be a dad in my house. As for my partner in crime, I love her for eternity! She makes me want to be a better husband and father, no not because of her foot in my rear, although that helps…. that’s just how she makes me feel. She truly is my best friend, my fairest critic, my motivation, and I couldn’t do it without her. She is the most beautiful women in the world! The most important thing is that we are on the same page and heading in the same direction. She may get there before me, but I’m not far behind!



1.  Finally number 1…..drum roll please……………………………………….. my faith. I know again, anticlimactic…. But it’s true. My faith is what gets me through every day. It’s the premise that all of my decisions are based on. I think that’s the same for most people whether they realize it or not. Here’s a little quote about faith:
"Faith is putting all your eggs in God's basket, then counting your blessings before they hatch."
~Ramona C. Carrol

Steph and I have taken a real leap of faith this last year. We moved from Corvallis to Florence, so that she could become a full time health coach and we could work her new business together. We have passed on other jobs and business opportunities, so that we could make this happen. It’s truly been a test of our faith and determination, but it’s working out. We feel very strongly that this is where we are supposed to be and what we are supposed to be doing. Every night we pray like it all depends on the Lord and every day we work like it all depends on us.
Well there you have it, My mostest favorite things from 2011. Did I just say “mostest”? Kids got me again! 
May your 2012 be filled with all of your favorite things!   
-----

4 comments:

THE YOUNG-INS said...

You did an awesome job. Congrats of your weight loss success thus far and too cute how you spoke so sweetly of your Stephanie...she is a keeper for sure.

BlueAmy623 said...

You two are soooo awesome! I really think somewhere along the line I fell out of the family tree. I have been a '9er fan since I knew what football was! That trip sounded awesome, Chris. Once in a lifetime, huh? I also have called my 5'10" son little-big man since he was probably a month old.

Your family is truly an inspiration. There are only three of us here. Me and the kids, but our faith is everything to is too. I am a convert since '94, becoming more seriously active when we moved to Oregon in '08; I know and love the "God" feeling.

Take care all of you. I look forward to your blogs. The inspiration you channel is astounding. Prayers from us. Amy, Nathan, and Falynn.

P.S. I can't WAIT to start and BE a fitandfabforlifecoach!!!

Robin said...

An "apple" guy huh. Once you go Mac you never go back. At least not without kicking and screaming.

Stephanie said...

@Dawn - He did do a great job...and yes, soooo sweet! I think I'll keep him!

@Amy - You are so sweet! I admire the hard work you put into your family - those kids are lucky to have you! I can't wait for you to join us on this journey! You're going to be amazing!

@Robin - Totally!