Friday, January 20, 2012

Healthy Kids: Homemade Protein Bars

Do you love a good protein bar?  Do you love ingredients like peanut butter, coconut, raisins and oats?  Then you (and more importantly, your kids) will love these bars!  

I've been using my iPhone...like A LOT - it's wonderful and convenient and I always have it with me, so please forgive some of the quick pictures!  I was having fun baking with my daughter!

 I know that banana looks really gross, but it wasn't nearly as rotten on the inside!

 See?  Smash your banana to smithereens!  This is a great job for the kids!

 Place mashed banana in a bowl.  I love glass bowls.

 Add your oats...I think these would be amazing with rolled wheat as well...just sayin'!

 Grab your lovely flaxseed (I heart Bob's Red Mill and love the golden flaxseed).  Next time I will toast these for a little added crunch!

 Throw your flaxseed in with your bananas and oats

 Next, add in your protein powder (I went with the lesser scoops - see recipe below).  We were out of our favorite stuff, so this is what we used - the kids liked it just fine!

 Then your beautiful, non-sweetened coconut flakes.  You can find these in the health food isle of most stores or in your local health food store.  

 Throw in your raisins - these Sunmaid Mixed Jumbo Raisins were so beautiful and moist - the kids devoured them straight from the bag!

 Add in your melted butter (or coconut oil)

 Then some peanut butter - we used the Jif Extra Crunchy for some extra texture, but the Adam's Natural Peanut Butter is what we will use from now on!

 Add in your water and...

 Mix well!  This was also Avonleigh's job - she loved the challenge! hehe

 I love how you can see all of the wonderful ingredients!

 Pour your mixture into a parchment lined baking tray (I used a 13x9 because I tripled the recipe for a crowd!).  And have a cute kid handy to lick the bowl - I hear it's good luck...

 Smooth out your batter (can I really call this a "batter"?  I'm not sure, the baking police may come after me!  Wait, can I even call this "baking"?! Yikes!).

 Avonleigh made ours extra smooth...little perfectionist that she is.

 See?  Perfectly smooth.  I'm sure it tastes better this way.  Ask my daughter.

Ready for my favorite part?  Oh yeah you are!  Slowly peel back the delicate foil on your beautiful dark chocolate bar...like you're searching for Charlie's golden ticket...

Break up the chocolate into smaller pieces and set in a microwave safe bowl.  Nuke on high for 1 min, stir and nuke again until melted.  It took me 2 min, but the microwave wasn't as powerful as it could be.

That is just gorgeous to me...thank you Lindt...thank you iPhone...

Another great kid job - stir that chocolate!

And pour it over your batter/mixture/yummy-goodness

Time to smooth again!  Avonleigh can take over from here.

Isn't that beautiful?  You can stop licking your screen now.

There you have it!  Now pop that bad boy into the freezer for a couple of hours (if you can wait that long)!  

Now the hard part (besides the waiting)...clean up!


Avonleigh to the rescue, once again!

A couple hours in the freezer and you have lovely, homemade protein bars that are sure to be a crowd-pleaser!   
I didn't get any pictures of them cut up...lame, I know!  But they were devoured.  Seriously, even my ultra picky nephews loved them!  Hooray for health treats that kids love!

Make these.  Today.  Like, now.  Go make them now!


Homemade Protein Bars


  • 1 mashed banana
  • 1 1/2 cups dry oatmeal
  • 2 Tablespoons flax seed, ground (I used whole seeds, next time I'll toast them)
  • 2-4 scoops protein powder (we used 2)
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup shredded coconut
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil or butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 large chocolate bar (I used Lindt 90% Dark Chocolate) or 1/2 cup chocolate chips

Mix all ingredients but chocolate together well (mixture will be somewhat sticky). Line an 8×8-inch pan with foil and spread the mixture evenly in the pan. Melt chocolate on the stove or in the microwave. Drizzle or spread over the mixture in the pan.

Place the pan in the freezer for at least 2 hours. Cut into 10 -12 bars and wrap in plastic wrap and/or foil and store in the freezer.
Thaw slightly before serving.

*1/1oth of this recipe = approximately 260 calories and 11 to 13 grams of protein (depending upon how much protein powder you use, per Calorie Count.)

Pin It

1 comment:

Veronica Rechten said...

Hi! Wasn't aware if you knew, but flaxseed needs to be ground in order for your body to absorb it. If you leave it whole it will pass right through you. Your bars look nice so giving the flax a little wiz with a blender or coffee grinder and they'll be more nutritious :)