Saturday, January 14, 2012

Lean and Green Meal Idea: Sweet and Spicy Southern Pulled Pork

This is probably my favorite way to prepare pork!  You MUST try it!

 This is how I like to enjoy it: over a bed of fresh spinach & crisp lettuce, with tomatoes.


I didn't take a picture of the raw roast and brine ingredients, so here's how it goes:
5-7 lbs Pork Butt
4 cups Apple Cider Vinegar (I like the Bragg's brand)
2 cups Onions, chopped
4 Bay Leaves
1 Tbl Salt
1 Tsp Pepper

Put all ingredients in a large crockpot on low and slow cook until meat pulls away from the bone easily.  At least 6 hours (like to set mine at bed time and let it cook all night).  
 A yummy, cooked roast!  Drain most of the juice (reserving 1 cup for sauce).  Now, skim off all of the fat as you shred the pork in the crock pot.  If it has been cooked long enough, it will shred easily with 2 forks.

Now to make the sauce:

1 cup Reserved Pork Juice
1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar (I've substituted Red Wine Vinegar and it worked great)
3 tsp Smoked Paprika (I adore this stuff, but you could use all regular Paprika, if you want)
3 tsp Paprika
1 Onion, chopped
2 tsp Italian Seasoning
2 tsp Garlic granules
2 tsp Oregano
2 (15 oz) can Tomato Sauce
2 packets Truvia (Splenda, etc) - you can add more if you like it a little sweeter
4 tsp Salt
2 tsp Pepper
3 tsp Worchestershire Sauce
1/2 tsp Chili Garlic Sauce


Mix all ingredients together in a medium saucepan and bring to a gentle boil to combine flavors. 

Once done, add back into crock pot with meat and simmer together until heated through.  I like to do this step in the morning, then turn my crock pot to "Keep Warm" and let it sit until dinner that night.  

Mix well!

This stuff is soooooooo yummy!  

As I said up top, I like mine of crisp salad greens, but you could make a coleslaw or something too!

We make pulled pork sandwiches for the kids and they LOVE them!  You could also serve it over brown rice or mashed potatoes.  Very versatile dish!

In the next few days I'll be posting our "Lean and Green Coleslaw" recipe!  It FABULOUS!

Happy, Healthy Eating!

Pin It

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Im excited to try it! Its cooking now and my house kinda stinks from the apple cider vingar, hoping that will go away ��