Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Lean and Green Meal Idea: Veggie Omelets

We love breakfast for dinner!  I'm a huge fan of eggs and veggies and pico...and, and, and!
So I think you're going to love this simple, yet flavorful recipe and soon, YOU will be having [healthy] breakfast for dinner!

This was for 2 omelets:
2 Whole, Organic Eggs
2 cups Egg Beaters
2 Green Onions
1/2 Green Bell Pepper, sliced
2 Colored Baby Bell Peppers, sliced
1 Zucchini, sliced
1/4 White Onion, sliced
1 cup Fresh Spinach
1/2 Avocado, diced (optional)
2 Tbls Salsa Verde or Pico de Gallo (optional)


 Chopped and ready to go!  Extra points if you make your zucchini look like poker chips...that Mr. Charming...he's so talented!

 Spray a heavy cast iron pan (my preference) with PAM and saute the bell peppers and onions until slightly translucent, over med-high(ish) heat.

 Then add your zucchini and continuing cooking.  *See Part 2 below

 As the zucchini begins to soften, throw in your spinach and green onions.  I cut my green onions over my pan with scissors - it's just easier.

*Part 2: The Omelet
 I'm actually going to write a whole blog post on making the prefect omelet...because I'm the WORST at it!  I write, Mr. Charming cooks.  We like it that way.  
Whisk together 1 cup Egg Beaters with 1 whole egg (season as needed - we use pepper) and cook slowly in a well-PAMmed pan (I prefer stainless steel).  Flip once and viola - this sounds easy, but I seriously suck at it.  So, you will only see pics of Mr. Charming's perfect omelets...stay tuned for the tutorial!

Stuff each omelet with 1/2 of the veggies and fold over.
I added 1/4 of an avocado for a little extra flavor & healthy fat.

 I also topped mine with some fabulous Salsa Verde!

Then we sat down with an ice cold Diet Rite Pure Zero.  I'm not a soda fan, but every once in a while, these just hit the spot! 

What veggie combinations (or other things) do you like on your omelet?


Pin It

3 comments:

A LDS mother to three busy kids said...

wow that looked yummy!!

Robin said...

I love broccoli and mushrooms. Looks Yummy. What's for dinner tonight?

Stephanie said...

@Rachel - They are super yummy! And very versatile!

@Robin - Yum! We'll definitely be giving that combo a try! More recipes to come - thanks for all the tips!