Monday, January 9, 2012

Lean and Green: Sweet Chili Lime Tofu with Spinach

Gotta love Pinterest, right?  I also happen to love Thai food, so when I saw this recipe posted, 
I knew I could make it into a Lean & Green meal with very few changes.  SCORE!

The list of players (kinda):
Fresh Lime (I also have lime juice pictured, but 1 whole lime was plenty, so I didn't use it)
Lime Zest
Chili Garlic Paste
Truvia
Garlic
Soy Sauce (we keep refilling our original little bottle with a low sodium soy sauce)
Salt (totally optional - it was plenty salty, so I would omit this altogether)


 Put 3 Tbls Soy Sauce in a bowl

 Prepare your lime!  You may already know this trick, but if you press firmly while rolling your citrus (lemon, lime, orange, etc), it is A LOT easier to juice.  So roll it out - and only take pictures of it if your hands don't look nasty....and your nails are nicely manicured...and painted.  the end.

 Zesting time!  If you don't have a zester, you can use the smallest holes on a cheese grater, or use a regular cheese grater and gently zest JUST the top layer (no white!).  Then you can lay your zest on a cutting board and finely chop it with a sharp knife.

 Pretty
 Add your zest, garlic, Truvia, chili garlic paste to the soy sauce and whisk everything together until well-dissolved.

 Next, it's time to cut the tofu.  I always take mine out of the fridge, drain it and wrap it in paper towels or napkins.  Then I place it on a place with a heavy cast iron pan on top (to squeeze out the liquid).  So here is my dried brick.  I sliced it 8 times, giving me 9 rectangles (short ways).

 Then take each rectangle and cut it in half.

Now cut your halved rectangle on each diagonal giving you 4 triangles.

 I chose to have spinach (raw), but the original recipe calls for wilted collard greens.  I'm sure that would be yummy too!

 I completely spaced taking a picture of the actual frying process...what a dork!  I set my heat to medium, then sprayed a heavy cast iron pan (10") with PAM.  I laid the triangles from the whole brick of tofu in the pan (if you have a smaller pan, you'll want to fry in batches).  Take the back of your spatula and press firmly on your tofu to help squeeze the water out of it - this is a method known as "dry frying".  It works like a charm!  Like I said above, I always dry my brick ahead of time, so the dry frying doesn't take very long - maybe 5-8 minutes (depending on how brown you like them).  Keep turning them until you reach the desired brownness on each side.  

Once your tofu is done, add the sauce to the frying pan and coat well.  Stir fry it together for a couple of minutes (until you see a nice glaze on your tofu).

This was SOOOOO good!  The perfect amount of sweet & sour, spicy & bitter!  I would highly recommend you try this dish!  

Sweet Chili Lime Tofu

1 Block Tofu, extra firm (14 oz)
3 Tbl Truvia
3 Tbl Reduced Sodium Tamari (or soy sauce)
1 3/4 Tbls Fresh Lime Juice
1/2 Zest of the Lime
1/2 tsp Chili Garlic Paste
1 Clove Garlic, pressed
1/4 tsp salt (I omitted this)

Whisk all ingredients in a bowls until well-dissolved.  See above for "dry frying" and glazing instructions.

The original recipes can be found here. (I'll bet it is delish with the quinoa!)

2 comments:

Mary said...

That looks super yummy! I'll have to try it!

Stephanie said...

Definitely try it! And let me know what you think! ;o)