Thursday, February 2, 2012

GUEST POST: Meet Mary AND her Favorite Healthy Recipe


Hi guys!  I'm super excited to have a fabulous guest blogger on today (can I call her a blogger if she doesn't have her own blog? Who cares! She's amazing!)!  

I met my friend Mary a couple of years ago when our kids became friends at school.  Since then, she has moved and we have moved but we've stayed in touch and enjoy checking in with one another.  She is one cool cat and I know you'll love her too!  

Here are some Q&A's to get to know her better:
Favorite color: 
Turquoise - but I really love all colors and like to organize things by color (preferable the rainbow).
Favorite food (cuisine or dish): 
I love all types of food, especially if they are beautifully prepared.  If I want a special dinner (special occasion, birthday, etc) I always choose sushi with a good sake.
Tell us about where you live:
My family moved to Eastern Washington last year.  We are LOVING all the bright sunshine and warm weather of our new home. 
Tell us a little about your family:
My college sweetheart and I have been together for 15 years and married for almost 12.  We have three little monsters...errrr...I mean angels who are 8, 7 & 3.  I manage our household.
What's your favorite thing about our health program:
I LOVE that I am never hungry!!!  Now when I feel a craving for something that isn't part of my plan I can recognize that it is just a craving or habit, not true hunger.  I love the peace of mind that while I am eating greatly reduced calories I am getting all the vitamins, minerals and healthy stuff I need.  I love that by not being hungry I can focus on establishing good habits of health.  TSFL fits very well into my busy day! 
What's your favorite meal food: 
I love the Cream of Broccoli Soup and the Hot Cocoa.  I mix the Hot Cocoa  with my morning coffee and it is a GREAT way to start my day!  When I started I hated the puffs...after a week on program they became my favorite "sit in front of the TV munching" treat!  It's like popcorn!  
What is your future health goal(s) and where do you see yourself in 1 year: 
I picture myself walking into the door at my brother's house for Thanksgiving wearing a totally adorable outfit that my 16 year old niece will want to borrow! :D  I see myself not dreading to leave the house because I feel so uncomfortable in my own skin.  I see myself walking up the stairs in my house without my knees crunching and creaking. 

Isn't she fun?!  I'm so happy for her and all of the wonderful changes she is making for herself and her family!  Did I mention she lost 16 lbs her first two weeks?  Yeah, she's a ROCKSTAR!
Here are a few things I love about Mary: she's incredibly creative, she has a beautiful home and works hard to make it a special place for her family, she's a good wife and a wonderful mother, she loves and lives her faith and she has the most sparkly blue eyes - always smiling and super sweet!  
I give you Mary:

-------

Hi everyone!  My name is Mary and I’m stoked to be guest blogging for Stephanie today!  I just started my TSFL journey to better health and happiness and I’m always on the hunt for ways to make my lean and green filling, tasty and pleasing to look at.  After all, we eat with our eyes first!

It is no secret that I love eggs!  I love nice soft yokes in all their creamy goodness.  Last week I was planning my L & G and thinking that a creamy egg dish would be heaven.  I grabbed my farm fresh eggs (they are delivered to my door every other week…hate me), baby spinach, asparagus and soon I was rockin’. 

I’m very conscience of sticking to the TSFL plan.  I do not want anything to derail me if I can help it so I pay close attention to my L & G measurements and condiments.   The first issue I had to address was roasting the asparagus.  Since I used 3 eggs I couldn’t use any extra fat in my dish.  Also, I wanted the dish to be seasoned with Balsamic Vinegar, parsley and salt so I knew I would have to dry roast the asparagus.  You could use up to a 10 sec spray of oil on the asparagus in place of one of the condiments, but I found dry roasting them to be successful.   

Soft Boiled Eggs w/Roasted Asparagus & Spinach

Here is our cast of characters:


First preheat your oven to 425.  Fill a pot halfway with water and bring to a boil.  While you are waiting prep your asparagus.  To trim the woody ends from asparagus grasp the stalk in your hands and bend.  The stalk will naturally break off where the woody part begins.


 Place your asparagus on a foil lined baking sheet.


 When oven is heated roast the asparagus for about 11 min.  Keep an eye on them.  You want the asparagus to still have a bite, not be too mushy.  Take a set of tongs and roll the asparagus around a couple times during cooking.

When the water is boiling add the eggs.  Reduce the heat and simmer (soft bubbles appearing) for about 7 min, more or less depending on how firm you want your yolk.   While you are waiting drink a nice tall glass of water, mine has a tiny bit of fresh lime in it – Yum!

When the eggs are finished run them (still in the pan) under cold water to stop the cooking and set aside until cool enough to handle. 

When the asparagus is done remove from the oven.


 Now we are ready to plate!  Yippee! 

Place raw spinach in the bottom of your plate/bowl.


 Put the roasted asparagus on top of the spinach.


 Peel and place the soft-boiled eggs on top of the asparagus, breaking them open slightly to expose the yokes.  Sprinkle dish with 1 tsp of balsamic vinegar, ¼ tsp sea salt & ¼ tsp of dried/fresh parsley.

 Eat.

Swoon over the creamy, salty, balsamic sauce covering your veggies…marvel at how full and satisfied you feel with so few, fresh, unadulterated ingredients. 

I hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as I do. 

Thanks for having me Stephanie!

----------------------------

Recipe for Soft Boiled Eggs with Roasted Asparagus and Spinach*
*Remember: whole eggs are only to be eaten once a week

3 Eggs (Lean – no extra fat serving)
1 cup Raw Spinach (Green)
1 cup Raw Asparagus (~8 oz) (Green)
1 tsp Balsamic Vinegar (condiment)
¼ tsp Dried Parsley (condiment) – you can have up to 1 tbsp.
¼ tsp Salt (I like pink Himalayan sea salt) (condiment)

  1. Preheat your oven to 425.  Fill a pot halfway with and bring to a boil. 
  2. Prep your asparagus and place on a foil lined baking sheet.  To trim the woody ends from the asparagus grasp the stalk in your hand and start to bend.  The stalk will break where the woody part begins.  Dry roast asparagus for about 11 min, turning once or twice during cooking.  Keep an eye on them so they do not overcook. 
  3. Add eggs to boiling water and reduce to a simmer (soft bubbles appearing) for about 7 min (more or less depending on how soft you like your eggs).  When finished run cold water over egg (still in pan) to stop the cooking.  Set aside until you are ready to plate.
  4. Remove asparagus from oven.
  5. Place spinach in dish, top with asparagus and eggs, breaking eggs open to expose yolks.
  6. Sprinkle with balsamic vinegar, salt & parsley.
 This is 1 Lean & Green meal with <3 condiments and no added fat. 

Calories: 250.3
Total Fat: 15.4 g
Total Carbs: 7.8 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.5 g
Protein: 22.5 g

I added it to Spark People.  You can find it HERE

No comments: