Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Lean and Green: Seared Ahi Tuna in Sesame Sauce

Oh my!  I have never had sushi-grade tuna before and I'll be honest - I was a little skerd!  I mean, don't you have to eat this stuff practically raw?!  Guys, I have seafood issues already...don't try and make me eat it while it's still swimming!

Those of you who have tried this type of fish (sushi, etc.) are probably laughing at me right now, because, it isn't fishy - not one. little. bit.  And it isn't slimy or squishy or any of the other adjectives that were floating around in my brain when Mr. Charming said "sushi-grade" tuna.

It was positively delightful!

Seared Ahi Tuna in Sesame Sauce with Sauteed Broccoli & Cauliflower

The fabulous (tasty, spicy, flavorful) cast of characters:

The sauce is the boss!  Mix it up well (see recipe below) and marinate tuna steaks for at least an hour (covered & refrigerated).

Yummy marinating tuna steaks 

Heat a non-stick pan (coated with PAM) over medium high heat.  Place tuna in pan and sear for 1-2 minutes.

Flip your tuna steaks over and sear another 1-2 minutes.

Slice those gorgeous steaks up and spoon sauce over the top.  I am salivating while typing this.  Man I want these again!

The glorious finished plate - complete with sauteed veggies, which can be found HERE

Pin It

Seared Ahi Tuna in Sesame Sauce
2 Servings
Prep time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes

INGREDIENTS
2 (7 oz) Ahi Tuna steaks (3/4" thick)
1 Tbsp Dark Sesame Oil
2 Tbsp Low Sodium Soy Sauce (or Tamari, Braggs Liquid Aminos, etc)
1 Tbsp grated fresh Ginger
1 Clove Garlic, minced
1 Green Onion (scallion) thinly sliced
1 tsp Lime Juice

METHOD
1. Mix the marinade ingredients together and coat the tuna steaks with the marinade, cover tightly and refrigerate for at least an hour.

2. Heat a non-stick skillet over medium high heat.  When the pan is hot, remove the tuna steaks from the marinade and sear them for 1-2 minutes on each side (longer if you want your tuna less rare than picture - or if you have seafood issues...I'm not judging).

3. Remove from pan and slice into 1/4" thick slice.  Spoon sauce over the top if desired (this will add extra carbs & sodium for those watching your waistline).

Serve with sauteed veggies (or quinoa, brown rice, etc.).

Nutritional Information HERE.

No comments: