Monday, March 12, 2012

Monday Weigh-in and the Week Ahead


Pin It

Hello, hello!  Is anyone else ready for Spring??  We had glimpses of sunshine and blue sky this weekend, but it was COLD!  And now, as I sit here typing this, it is bleak and dreary.  I'm so ready for warmer weather!  Anyway, I hope you all had a great week/weekend!  We're off to another big week here at Fit and Fab for LIFE!  We were back to blogging all 6 days last week, so if you missed one (you're allowed one/week...but no more, we missed you!), here's a recap:

MondayWeigh-in
Tuesday: Christopher's Birthday (complete with pictures and a revision of our EPIC Health Muffin recipe!) 
Wednesday: How Your Health is Impacting Generations
Thursday: Family Update: She Bangs!
Friday: GUEST BLOG Lean & Green Recipe: Fried Eggs w/ Kimchi, Broccoli & Red Peppers 
Saturday: Healthy Recipe (or L&G): Beef Stroganoff w/ Tofu Fettuccine
Sunday: Had a great family day - enjoyed church, had a yummy lunch and went on a family hike in the dunes!

And now...the moment you've all been waiting for (or was that just me?):

But first, I want to clarify my post from last week.  I had several people who called to ask about exercise and if they shouldn't be doing any/what I recommend, etc..  That was not the point of my post.  I must not have said it very well, but let me explain:

Mr. Charming and I were doing a 45-60 min weight routine 3x/week (they were grueling), plus cardio (20 min on lifting days and 45-60 min on non-lifting days), walks/hikes with the family, Monday night basketball & hide 'n seek tag (2 hours), etc - all while physically consuming about 1,000 cal (a "side effect" of this program is that our brain functions at optimal levels because it is getting all the nutrients it needs, so it believes we're eating about 2000 cal).  To say we were overdoing it would be an understatement.   I love the feeling of working out, but I'm also very in tune to my body (another amazing "side effect" of this program) and I was having a lot of light headedness, which I'll also explain below.

In the real world, the more exercise you do, the more calories you burn and in theory, the more weight you should lose, right?  But when you push diet and exercise to extremes, you can throw your body out of balance and slow your progress in weight loss.  

You need energy to fuel exercise, when you cut back on your caloric intake, your body senses trouble (big trouble in little China)!  When you lack the carbs your muscles need to continue functioning, your body metabolizes fat tissue (this is a good thing).  However, when your body can't access fat tissue (you have too little or you're burning calories too quickly), it will actually eat away at your muscle tissue to meet the demands you put on it during exercise.  Too much exercise combined with too little nutrition put your body into starvation mode - ie, it shuts down your metabolism to protect itself.  When this happens, you become fatigued and lose endurance and rather than burning calories, your body lowers its needs and stores more fat.  So you stop losing weight and instinctively you cut back your calories further (in response to the stall) and continue on in the vicious cycle.

So because I'm doing a specialized program (and the best thing out there!), my body is already in an aerobic state known as "fat burning".  My fat stores are being burned constantly while I'm awake to make up for the lack of carbs that I consume.  But because I balance my protein and carbs, my muscles are getting all the protein they needs, so I'm not losing muscle mass.  It really is a win/win, perfect state for your body to be in for weight loss.  However, when I threw in such excessive exercise, I was then depleting more calories than my body was used to, so it went into starvation mode (ie kicked me out of fat burning).  This is not a good place to be in - my cravings came back (not bad, I think because I'm so conditioned to my lifestyle), my hunger came back & I was feeling run down and tired (usually I have an abundance of energy!).  To top it all off, I stopped losing weight!  Boo on all accounts! 

So because my focus is still on weight loss, I chose to cut out the weight training and extra cardio and get back to the basics.  My head immediately cleared up (my poor brain didn't know what I was doing to it!) and I felt great after I got back into fat burning!  Of course it also paid off big dividends when I stepped on the scale this morning and saw: 

Last week: 180

This week: 175.8 

I should also mention that by Tuesday morning my weight was up to 181.8 - I was super frustrated (even though I knew what I had done).  But still, a loss of 4.2 lbs from last Monday - YES PLEASE!

I hope the long version made more sense to you.  Exercise is an absolutely VITAL part of a healthy lifestyle - and this program does NOT discourage it, but there are a lot of activities you can do while in the weight-loss phase to help contribute to your overall wellness and still help you maintain fat burning (and your own mental health)! ;o)  Feel free to email/call/text with any questions!



This week on le blog:

Tuesday: Recipe: Lean & Green - Cod with Asparagus
Wednesday: Your Health - Turn off the tv!
Thursday: Recipe: Lean & Green - Peanut Butter Chicken with Tofu Noodles
Friday: Family Fun Weekly Recap
Saturday: Health Tip - The Benefits of Going Organic
Sunday: Family Day (no blog post, just a brief on what we did)

No comments: