Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Lean & Green: Beef Stew with Kimchi

Holy cow!  This dish was NOT what I thought it would be!  I'll be honest, I'm not a beef fan - never really have been.  I enjoy the occasional beef dish, but I've noticed more and more since I've been conscious about my health, that beef is really hard on my system.  I just don't feel well after eating it, so I don't eat it very often - at. all.  BUT, when Mr. Charming proposed this dish, I figured I'd give it a whirl!

I was so pleasantly surprised - I love the spicy kimchi and the asian flavors all meshed beautiful together - plus the kelp noodles, having simmered in the broth, we absolutely fabulous!  It was my very favorite beef dish in 10+ months!

If you like beef...or asian flavors...or kimchi...or your taste buds in general, you'll want to make this - SOON!

The ingredients (minus the beef broth, I totally forgot to get it in the picture):





The photographer in me rears her picky head (ie - I like this shot better...but the noodles didn't make it in)! 

Turn the heat to high under a large pot with a lid. Add the beef cubes and brown well, adjusting the heat so the meat browns but does not burn and turning beef to brown on all sides; this will take about 10 minutes.  As the meat finishes cooking, add the garlic and ginger and saute until fragrant. 

Add beef broth: 

Sucralose: (you could totally substitute mirin or hoisin sauce if you aren't counting carbs) 

Soy sauce: 

Adjust the heat so the mixture simmers steadily but not violently and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is tender - about 40 minutes. 

See how it reduced - oh and you should smell it! 

Caution: Kimchi is a fermented product and may bubble over ;o) 

Add that yummy Kimchi: 


And the kelp noodles (in hind sight, we will chop them up before we add them to the stew, but in this case, I took a pair of scissors to them in the pot): 

Mix well to combine: 

Then add your sesame oil: 

And scallions: 

Put the lid on your pot and simmer for about 10 minutes. 

Serve in bowls (but let it cool a bit first) and enjoy! 
Make this - you won't be disappointed...my mouth is watering as I blog this recipe...and I'm not even a beef fan!  The flavors are to die for!

Beef Stew with Kimchi
2 Servings

12 oz Beef Tenderloin, cut into 1 1/2" chunks
2 large Garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp Ginger
1 cup Beef Broth
2 Tbl low-sodium Soy Sacue
3 packet Sucralose
1 jar Kimchi
1/2 Tbl Sesame Oil
3 Scallions, chopped
1 bag Kelp Noodles, chopped

Turn the heat to high under a large pot with a lid. Add the beef cubes and brown well, adjusting the heat so the meat browns but does not burn and turning beef to brown on all sides; this will take about 10 minutes.  As the meat finishes cooking, add the garlic and ginger and saute until fragrant.
Add the beef broth, soy sauce and sucralose. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer.
Adjust the heat so the mixture simmers steadily but not violently and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is tender - about 40 minutes.  Add the kimchi, sesame oil, scallions and kelp noodles and continue cooking an additional 10 minutes. (You can prepare the dish several hours in advance up to this point. Cover and set aside until you're ready to eat, then reheat; or cover and refrigerate overnight before reheating.)
Fill your bowls with this hearty, delicious stew and let it cool for a bit before digging in (trust me, it's SO hard to do)!  Enjoy this fabulous dish!!
Nutritional Information HERE.

2 comments:

April irons said...

I will have to give this a try! I've only had kimchi once and I didn't really care for it but this combo of flavors sounds yummy! :)

Mary said...

I made this for dinner tonight. I.LOVED.IT!!! Very tasty! I was pleasantly surprised at how yummy the kelp noodles are simmered in the broth (which is good because I ordered a lot of them). :D D loved it too - he kept his water close but kept going back for more!

I'll be review this on my blog as soon as I get the picture uploaded.

Thanks Stephanie & Chris!